African grey parrot
Northern saw-whet owl
Asian Glossy Starling
Northern Royal Albatross
Birds beginning with A
- A Lovebird is one of nine species of the genus Agapornis .
- The Yellow-faced Parrot , also known as the Yellow-faced Amazon, is the only species of the genus Alipiopsitta.
- The king parrots are three species of medium-sized parrots in the genus Alisterus; the Australian King Parrot , the Papuan King Parrot , and the Moluccan King Parrot .
- Amazon parrot is the common name for a parrot of the genus Amazona.
- Anodorhynchus is a genus of large blue macaws from open and semi-open habitats in central and eastern South America.
- Aprosmictus is a genus of parrots in the Psittacidae family.
Great Green Macaw
- ARA or Ara may refer to:
- Aratinga is a genus of American parakeets.
- Barnardius barnardi
- The Guaiabero was first described as Psittacus lunulatus by Tyrolean naturalist Giovanni Antonio Scopoli in 1786.
- Bolborhynchus is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- Brotogeris is a genus of small parrots endemic to Central and South America.
- Cacatua is a genus of cockatoos found from the Philippines and Wallacea east to the Solomon Islands and south to Australia.
- The name Gang-gang comes from a New South Wales Aboriginal language, either Ngunnawal or Wiradjuri.
- Described by French naturalist Anselme Gaëtan Desmarest in 1826, the genus Calyptorhynchus has five species.
- The four species of the Chalcopsitta genus are about 31 – 32 cm long.
- Papuan Lorikeet
- Psittacus carolinensis Linneaus, 1758 Conurus carolinensis Lesson, 1831
- There are two species and several subspecies:
- It is mainly found in Argentina.
- Spix's Macaw is 55–57 cm long.
- Cyanoramphus is a genus of parakeets native to New Zealand and islands of the southern Pacific Ocean.
- Cyclopsitta is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family found in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and tropical Australia.
- The Red-fan Parrot possesses elongated neck feathers that can be raised to form an elaborate fan, which greatly increases the bird's apparent size, and is possibly used when threatened.
- The Red-shouldered Macaw , is representative of two distinct subspecies: Noble Macaw or Hahn's Macaw.
- The parrot genus Eclectus consists of two species, the extant Eclectus Parrot and the extinct Oceanic Eclectus Parrot .
- Enicognathus is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- The Greek worship of the dawn as a goddess is believed to be inherited from Indo-European times.
- Eunymphicus is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- Forpus is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- Geoffroyus is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- There are three species:
- The closest relative is the Yellow-faced Parrot and the members of the genus Pionus.
- Its plumage is mostly bright yellow, hence its common name, but it also possesses green remiges.
- Hapalopsittaca is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- The Swift Parrot is endangered with only about 1000 pairs remaining in the wild, and its population is declining.
- The Golden-plumed Parakeet is a Neotropical parrot species within the Psittacidae family, belonging to the monotypic genus Leptosittaca.
- It was a large, heavy-set parrot, with strong males similar in size to the Palm Cockatoo.
Sri Lanka Hanging-parrot
- The hanging parrots are birds in the parrot genus Loriculus .
- Lorius is a genus of lorikeet in the parrot family Psittacidae.
- The budgerigar is closely related to the lories and the fig parrots.
- Pygmy parrots are the smallest members of the parrot family.
- Psittacus monachus Boddaert, 1783 Bolborrhynchus luchsi Finsch, 1868 Myiopsitta luchsi but see text
- A prehistoric relative, Nandayus vorohuensis, was described from Late Pliocene fossils found in Argentina.
- Nannopsittaca is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- There are 6 or 7 species:
- Wildtype Bourke's Parakeet display a basically brown overall colouration with pink abdomen, pinkish breast & a blue rump.
- The genus Neopsittacus contains two species and several subspecies:
- A fictional character:
- This species grows up to 27-35cm in length and the sexes are similar in appearance.
- The Cockatiel , also known as the Quarrion and the Weiro, is the smallest and genuinely miniature cockatoo endemic to Australia.
- The Yellow-eared Parrot nests and lives among wax palms in a few areas of Western and Central Cordillera of Colombia; were it inhabits cloud forests about 1800 – 3000 meters above sea level.
- The Plum-faced Lorikeet is a mainly green small parrot about 15 cm long with a long pointed tail.
- It is a resident bird in tropical Amazonian South America, from Colombia and Trinidad south to Amazonian Peru and Bolivia, and central Brazil as far as the northwestern cerrado of Brazil.
- Adult birds are around 20 cm long and exhibit slight sexual dimorphism.
- They are endemic in the Amazon Basin in South America, with the Black-headed north of the Amazon River, and the White-bellied south.
- The Pileated Parrot , also known as the Red-capped Parrot , is a medium-small species of parrot with a total length of about 22 cm .
- Pionus is a genus of medium-sized parrots native to Mexico, and Central and South America.
- A rosella is one of five to eight species of colorful Australian parrots in the genus Platycercus.
- They are stocky birds with short broad tails and relatively large heads and beaks for their size.
- The genus Polytelis of the family Psittacidae consists of three species long-tailed parrot endemic to Australia.
- Primolius is a genus of macaws comprising three species, which are native to South America.
- The following nine species and several subspecies are recognized in the genus:
- The Palm Cockatoo , also known as the Goliath Cockatoo, is a large smoky-grey or black parrot of the cockatoo family.
- The shining-parrots, Prosopeia, are a genus of parrots .
- The genus Psephotus has five species of parakeets from Australia.
- The Dusky Lory is short tailed parrot about 25 cm long.
- Psilopsiagon is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family.
- Psittacella is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family, all of which are endemic to the island of New Guinea.
- Members of the parrot genus Psittacula or Afro-Asian Ringnecked parakeets as they are commonly known in aviculture originates found from Africa to South-East Asia.
- Psittaculirostris is a genus of parrot in the Psittacidae family found in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.
- There are two subspecies universally accepted:
- The Psitteuteles genus contains three species:
- It is the only member of the genus Psittinus.
- Pesquet's Parrot is a large parrot with a total length of approximately 46 cm and a weight of 680–800 g .
- First described by German naturalist Heinrich Kuhl in 1820, from a collection in Albany, Western Australia,
- All are relatively short-tailed parrots that are restricted to forests in the Neotropics.
- Pyrrhura is a genus of parrots in the Arini tribe.
- The thick-billed parrots are members of the parrot genus Rhynchopsitta.
- Kakapo are critically endangered; as of February 2010, only 123 Two large Fiordland islands, Resolution and Secretary, have been the subject of large-scale ecological restoration activities to prepare self-sustaining ecosystems with suitable habitat for the Kakapo.
- Tanygnathus is a genus of parrots of the Psittaculini tribe.
- Touit is a genus of Neotropical parrots in the Psittacidae family.
- The genus name is derived from the Ancient Greek terms tricho- "hair", and glõssa "tongue".
- It is a relatively long-tailed parrot with a total length of c.
- Vini is a genus of birds endemic to the islands of the tropical Pacific.
Animal of the Day
Animal of the day
Pictures and facts of the family Psittacidae